Caring for your outdoor patio umbrella appropriately will prolong its usefulness by years. An outdoor umbrella has to combat many outdoor elements including harsh sunlight, winds, rain and dust, all which can deteriorate your umbrella significantly over time.
Whether your patio umbrella is aluminum, fiberglass or wood, cleaning them is generally easy and simple. Follow these 6 easy steps to clean your umbrella:
Cleaning your Patio Umbrella
- Open the umbrella and lay it down on a protective surface, such as a clean towel, old clean sheets, blanket or tarp. Make sure that no part of the umbrella touches the ground directly.
- Hose the canopy down to loosen any dust and dirt.
- Using mild, warm soapy water and a clean cloth, lightly scrub all sections of the umbrella, paying particular attention to any stains.
- Hose over again to rinse off all soapy residue.
- For Sunbrella fabrics, use a protectant like 303 solution to enhance water repelling
- Stand the umbrella back into its base and allow it to dry naturally in the sun.
Patio Umbrella Maintenance Tips
- Avoid using harsh or abrasive cleaners, which can destroy the finish on your umbrella. Mild soap or laundry detergent will do just fine.
- If you do not have access to a hose, take your umbrella to a ‘do-it-yourself’ car wash and use their water pressure washer. This is an easy way to clean your umbrella especially if you are in a hurry.
- During bad weather, it is always a good idea to close your umbrella and store it away. When you close your umbrella, ensure that it is in the deadlock position. In addition, make sure all the ribs collapse in against the center pole. This will prevent it from blowing open and moving around. If you must leave your umbrella outside, it is worthwhile investing in a patio umbrella cover to protect it during bad weather.
- Similarly, when not using your umbrella for long periods, it is best to put it into storage. Store your umbrella upright and use a protective cover to keep away dust and pests.
- Always clean your umbrella first before storing it away.
Taking the time to clean your patio umbrellas on a regular basis will keep your umbrella looking new and vibrant each season.