A beautiful addition to your garden or backyard, gazebos are available in a wide variety of styles. Also known as a pavilion, belvedere, or pergola, gazebos have been used over the centuries to enjoy a panoramic view of the surrounding area or as shady retreat.
Today, gazebos are gaining popularity with homeowners all across the country. Not only does a gazebo create an attractive focal point for your garden, it also adds value to your home. However, the right gazebo for you will depend on the size and style of your house, the size of the yard or garden where the gazebo will be located and what you intend to use it for.
Depending on your requirements, you can choose a gazebo based on its size, shape, look and style. But whether your gazebo is large or small, elegant or functional – you can be sure of a cozy, inviting getaway for you and your family.
How will you use your gazebo?
- A peaceful retreat – Modern-day gazebos have numerous uses. If you are looking for a quiet, serene place in the midst of nature to relax, a gazebo is the perfect place for you. Sit or lie down under the inviting shade of your gazebo and take a break from the daily grind as you enjoy the cool breeze and listen to the melodious chirping of birds. It’s truly heavenly!
- Outdoor dining – If you want, you can use your gazebo as an outdoor dining room to host lunch or dinner parties. Bring along your grill and your gazebo could become the perfect site to enjoy a delicious barbecue with your friends and family members.
- Hot tub shelter – Gazebos also offer you a relaxing, private place to enjoy your hot tub or spa year round. Being isolated from the stress of daily life, the gazebo lets you enjoy the luxury of your tub without unwelcome distractions.
- Romantic getaway – There’s no place better than a gazebo for a romantic rendezvous. You could adorn the gazebo railings with colorful, miniature lights or arrange for a cozy candlelight dinner for two to enjoy tender moments with your loved one.
- Special occasions – Whether it’s a wedding, baby shower or a birthday party, gazebos can make your special day memorable. Adorn your gazebo with flowers, ribbons or colorful miniature lights – and you have created a beautiful, personal and cozy place to hold your party.
Gazebos come in a wide variety of shapes, sizes and styles. You should choose your gazebo mainly based on the size of your garden and the intended purpose of the gazebo.
You can opt for different gazebo shapes ranging from square and rectangular to hexagonal, octagonal, round or oval. Generally, gazebos are made of durable wood like cedar and redwood, vinyl or metals like cast aluminum, wrought iron or steel.
To build or not to build…
Depending on your carpentry skills and free time, you can build your own gazebo from scratch. Detailed gazebo plans are available on the internet and in woodworking books and magazines.
You can also opt for gazebo kits that come with pre-cut, ready-to-assemble wood pieces, along with instructions and diagrams on assembly. Another option is that you can obtain the services of a skilled carpenter to build your gazebo for you.